February 1, 2017
Maintaining accounting records with a heavy emphasis on monthly financial statement preparation, month-end procedures, royalties’ reconciliations and other internal reporting. Supervision of accounting clerks and assisting with other accounting functions as required.
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Where to Apply: email@example.com
A well-established and vibrant company in the entertainment industry, specializing in the production, publishing and management of a roster of artists.
The Senior Accountant is a key role in assisting the finance department in meeting reporting deadlines. Functions of this position include but are not limited to: ensuring that all day-to-day transactions are accurately reported, month-end entries and reconciliations; assisting with the preparation of monthly F/S for board reporting in a timely manner; assisting with a range of internal and one-off projects; artist management reporting and analysis and the review of related P&L’s prepared by the Intermediate Accountant; assisting the Manager of Finance and Director of Finance with the preparation of year-end working papers and tax return information for our auditors and tax advisors; assisting with the year-end audit process; preparing both Canadian and US payroll and dealing with payroll processing matters as they arise, and assisting with cash flow functions.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate their effectiveness at:
- Manage month-end close process including preparing and reviewing month-end entries and reconciliations
- Draft monthly F/S in a timely manner
- Reconcile royalties’ expenses to accruals
- Reconcile artist advances receivable
- Assist intermediate accountant in preparation of month-end and year-end working papers
- Review GST returns and manage CRA correspondence and queries
- Review coding of revenues and expenses
- Analyze, reconcile and review intercompany transactions across multi-jurisdictions and in multi-currency
- Analyze and perform reconciliations related to multi-currency balances and revaluations
- Analyze and perform reconciliations related to multi-currency balances and revaluations
- Ensure the integrity of the monthly financial statements
- Review bank reconciliations prepared by intermediate accountant
- Manage foreign exchange transactions
- Review company P&Ls, artist manager P&Ls as well as other ad hoc artist-related reporting as required
- Analyze budgets to actuals for entity-level income and expenses and artist related P&Ls
- Supervise and review coding of sales and earnings data from distributors and licensees, and entry to the appropriate system
- Supervise and review coding of expenses receivable from distributor statements, and entry to the appropriate system
- Supervise and assist with collections procedures and reports, as well as bankruptcy notices.
- Review and approve coding of invoices and entry to the appropriate system
- Review and approve coding and payment of monthly employee credit card and other expense reports
- Prepare semimonthly payroll, manual cheques (if any), and process benefits and deductions calculations in Rise/PaySavvy in Canada, and Paychex in the US
- Respond to all payroll inquiries from staff
- Maintain and prepare WCB remittances quarterly
- Track vacation, sick, and personal days
- Process documentations for new employees and terminations
- Assist the Manager of Finance with funding applications and claims as required
- Assist with the budgeting process on an annual basis
- Suggest system improvements regarding integration in Great Plains Dynamics with the internal Royalties system and the Prophix financial reporting system
- Assist the A/R and A/P clerks and the Intermediate Accountant when workflow requires.
This is a dynamic position, and requires someone who is willing and able to deal with ad-hoc queries of a varying nature.
- 2-3 years of experience in an intermediate or senior accountant role
- Ideally designated as a CPA, at the minimum be currently enrolled or have completed CPA PEP, or equivalent
- Must be able to and be depended upon to think outside the box
- Exceptional communication (written & verbal) skills
- Strong supervision, training and interpersonal skills
- Strong organization and time management skills, as a large range of projects come up that need to be dealt with on a timely basis while managing other deadlines
- Positive and enthusiastic attitude
- Experience in running both Canadian and American payroll
- Proficient in the use of:
- MS Office; strong Microsoft Excel skills are absolutely essential
- Microsoft Dynamics GP experience
- Prophix experience would be considered an asset
- Fluency in any foreign languages would be considered an asset
- You will have very strong organizational skills and the ability to delegate as you must assist in the training and management of four junior staff as well as a high volume of responsibilities across a group of cross-border entities in an extremely fast paced and deadline-oriented environment. It is crucial that your strengths include multitasking and the ability to prioritize as multiple requests and queries are received each day.
- You like to collaborate and you communicate well with staff at all levels to complete projects and meet deadlines. Many of your projects will require working with staff from all departments.
- As we have a large roster of artists and managers, with vigorous month-end and artist reporting deadlines, accurate coding of revenue and expenses to each individual artist and/or manager correctly is crucial. Therefore, you are detail-oriented while remaining mindful of priorities and deadlines.
GOOD ACCOUNTING THEORY
- All day-to-day transactions require judgment using solid accounting principles. You should have a strong understanding of accounting principles and theory.
GOOD SOFTWARE KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics GP, or a similar program is essential. You should be familiar with the Bank, A/R and A/P modules (in a non-automated environment), as well as the financial module. Experience in using project/analytical accounting (AA) codes and management reporter would be beneficial.
- Excel is used frequently for analysis and reporting. You should be familiar with common formulas, pivot tables, lookup functions, and formatting tools.
Information on Internships at Nettwerk
December 1, 2016
At Nettwerk, we love our interns and strive to give them the best possible learning experience during their time with us. We offer our students one-on-one guidance and a relaxed atmosphere.
What do we look for an intern? Glad you asked! We like students who ask questions beyond the “how” we do things and look for the “why” we do things in our company. We want applicants who are passionate about music, but who are also looking for a creative career that goes above, “I’m with the band.” We expect our interns to provide us with just as much feedback as we give them, so don’t be surprised if someone asks you, “What do you think of this song?” or “How are you using Twitter?”
Eligibility: A candidate must be enrolled in either a graduate or undergraduate program and be receiving credit for their internship. Please apply only if you meet the eligibility requirements.
General Information: Interns are expected to work 12 to 20 hours a week during an 8 to 14 week internship period. All interns are subject to the applicable Nettwerk employee rules, including the Mutual Right to Arbitrate Claims and the Confidentiality Agreement. Interns who choose to use their own computers for work during their internships agree to follow all IT policies, including the prohibition of downloading or bit-torrenting protected files while at the Nettwerk offices.
Application Procedures: Candidates must submit a cover letter and resume. In the cover letter, please include what you hope to gain out of your internship experience and why you are interested in the music industry.
The following departments each participate in our program (not every department is available at every office):
Managing an Artist covers a wide range of duties, so students interning in the Management Department never know what the next day will bring! Duties may include updating social networking sites, helping to advance tours, creating travel itineraries and researching backline costs. Interns who spend time working within the Management department will see firsthand the organization and the drive it takes to create a career in music.
Nettwerk Records is looking for a qualified intern to join our label team. This intern should be prepared to work in a fast-paced team environment, and will finish the internship having gained broad experience in various aspects of the music industry as well as participate in various stages of marketing campaigns for upcoming releases. Tasks include help maintain the radio spins database and coordinate promotional mailings, learn how to create signage, one-sheet mock ups, B2B marketing tools, develop the skills to perform analysis of marketing and sales data, prepare periodic project reports for artists on tour, seek and analyze competitor marketing and sales materials both on and offline, and provide support to social media efforts.
Studying in our Online Marketing Department gives students a chance to get real world hands-on experience in the expanding social media industry. Work with an eclectic roster of artists and help develop their online presence through innovative marketing, contests and viral campaigns. Candidates in this department should have some elementary experience with grassroots marketing and be web-savvy. HTML, graphic design, and video editing experience a plus, but not required.
Internships in the Sync Department at Nettwerk require students who are passionate about helping Artists maximize their music’s exposure through licensing and synchronization. The ideal candidate has a general knowledge of copyright law and music publishing as well as an eye and ear for matching audio with video. Tasks include maintaining the music library for all Management, Label and Publishing clients, coordinating mailings, researching trailers, films and commercials, along with copyright clearance information.
PR / Press / Publishing: New York
Internships in the PR / Press / Publishing Department at Nettwerk require students who are passionate about helping Artists maximize their music's exposure through press and publishing. You will help maintain press reports for all artists and compile daily press clips. You will be asked to search for new blogs, magazines, and writers that we can add to our database. Drafting press releases and pitches, along with the potential of attending press interviews and tapings, are a possibility. In addition, the ideal candidate has a general knowledge of copyright law and music publishing as well as an eye and ear for matching audio with video. Tasks include maintaining the music library for all Management, Label and Publishing clients, coordinating mailings, researching advertisements and commercials, along with copyright clearance information.
Submission: Please send all applications (resume and cover letter) to firstname.lastname@example.org.